Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3009 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Lislehurst, North Wing, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Lislehurst, North Wing, Erindale
Identifier: PH1498
Date of Original Photo: 1984
Date Built: 1885
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 3369 Mississauga Road, Lot 4, Conc Range 1 NDS, Racey Tract

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 3369 Mississauga Road, lot 4, Range 1 NDS, Racey Tract. "Lislehurst" was built in 1885 by Weymouth Schreiber, who, with his wife, Charlotte Mount Brock Schreiber, and their three children, Edith, DeLisle and Harrie, had come to the area from Toronto before 1880. Jean Adamson, in her book, Erindale at the Crook of the Credit, states that Schreiber's aunt, Louisa DeLisle of Guernsey, had purchased the property, sight unseen, as an investment, and left the property to the three children in trust when she died in 1875. Three houses were built on the property: "Lislehurst" and "Mount Woodham" fairly close to each other, and "Iverholme" some distance away. "Lislehurst" is a large two-and-a-half storey house, built of Credit Valley stone. In 1928, Reginald Watkins, who had bought "Lislehurst" and "Mount Woodham", made extensive renovations to "Lislehurst", using material from "Mount Woodham" which he demolished. Watkins lived at "Lislehurst" till 1964 when the property was purchased by the University of Toronto as part of its Erindale Campus, and "Lislehurst" became the official residence of the Principal of the College. Inside the house there are twelve windows with heraldic devices, and seven fireplaces. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. This 1984 photo is of the north wing.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850