Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2352 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Harris House, Portico Detail, Cooksville
  View Full size image
Title: Harris House, Portico Detail, Cooksville
Identifier: PH1714
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: ca 1833
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Cooksville (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 89 Dundas Street West, Lot 14, Plan TOR 12

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 89 Dundas Street West. Plan Tor-12, Lot 14. This was a one-and-one-half storey frame stuccoed structure. It was believed to be one of the earliest structures in Cooksville, probably built about 1833. It was a simple Neo-Classical style building, with a three bay fašade, built on ground level with no cellar and a small upper floor. The building was of frame construction and had very few upgrades in well over the hundred years it stood on this site. There were changes to the rear of the structure in the form of additions, but the main fašade changed very little. The original owner was Samuel Emerson Harris, son of Samuel Harris who married Charlotte Walterhouse, the daughter of William Walterhouse, Sr. The house remained in the Harris family for several generations. Formerly listed on the Heritage Register, it was severely damaged by fire in September 1990 and was demolished in 1991. This photo shows one of the cornices on the south portico.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851