Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4341 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
R. Y. Eaton Coach House, Front Fašade, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: R. Y. Eaton Coach House, Front Fašade, Port Credit
Identifier: PH1763
Date of Original Photo: 1987
Date Built: 1913
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 766 Balboa Drive, pt. Blk A, Plan 683

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 766 Balboa Drive, pt. Blk A, Plan 683. The Coach House was one of about twenty buildings built between 1912 and 1920 on the estate of Robert Young Eaton, the nephew of Timothy Eaton, who was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1875. R. Y. Eaton became Vice-President of the T. Eaton Company in 1907 and later President in 1922. The entire estate was about seventeen acres and was named "Glen Ireton". The main house was cedar shingled. There were also a heated swimming pool and lighted tennis courts, as well as a two storey farmhouse with an attached greenhouse located west of the main house. Other buildings included the coach house, which was used for storage and stables, a barn with stables, a two storey building with staff quarters and family dining rooms to the north-east of the main house. R. Y. Eaton sold the estate in 1935 to Hector P. Bellingham who owned it until 1956. In 1956 it was owned briefly by Neil Peterson who sold it to Bert and Eva Oldershaw. Many of the buildings by this time were in poor repair and were demolished. The Coach House became the first Mississauga Canoe Club between 1957-1958. By the early sixties the property was subdivided into a number of residential lots, leaving only the Coach House which is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851