Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 441 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Bexhill House, Richard Barry Fudger Mansion, East Rear, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Bexhill House, Richard Barry Fudger Mansion, East Rear, Clarkson
Identifier: PH1783
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1916
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1309 Gatehouse Drive, Lot 9, RP 74

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1309 Gatehouse Drive, Lot 9, RP74. The land on which this house was built was purchased in 1916 by Harris H. Fudger, whose family came from Bexhill, Sussex in England. Fudger, who was born in Toronto, bought the Robert Simpson Company and became its president. His son, Richard Barry Fudger, immediately had a mansion built on the south east corner of the lot, which he called Bexhill House, and the dirt lane leading up to the house from Lakeshore Road was named Bexhill Road. Fudger also had a gatehouse built as the approach to Bexhill House. As of 2008 these buildings still existed: the gatehouse in modified form was relocated to 725 Bexhill Road at the corner of Gatehouse Drive. Bexhill House was disassembled in 1964 and rebuilt in smaller form in its position at the end of Gatehouse Drive. It is a two storey structure incorporating Georgian and Classical elements and is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850