Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2074 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Gairdner Estate, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Gairdner Estate, Clarkson
Identifier: PH1863
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1937-8
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 2700 Lakeshore Road West, pt. Lot 35 - pts 5-7 43R22402, Conc 4 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 2700 Lakeshore Road West. Conc 4 SDS, pt. LT 35 - PTS 5-7 43R22402. This two-and-a-half storey structure is gable roofed, of rectangular plan with two lateral side wings. Other structures on the property include a large coach house with living quarters above the garages (converted to office space) and to one end. There is also a smaller garage with living quarters above. All windows in all buildings have been replaced from the originals. The house was designed by architects Marani Lawson and Morris and constructed in 1937-8 for Charles Powell Bell. Unfortunately, Bell died shortly after moving in and three years later his widow, Kathleen, married James Arthur Gairdner. The couple divorced in 1960 and Gairdner moved to Oakville, taking with him the art studio he had built on the property. In 1961, Kathleen sold the estate to Ontario Hydro. The property is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851