Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2446 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Hobberlin House, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: Hobberlin House, Port Credit
Identifier: PH1915
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: Between 1910 and 1914
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 20 Ben Machree Drive, Plan 122, pt. Blk X

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 20 Ben Machree Drive. Plan 122, pt. Blk X. This two-and-a-half storey structure is constructed of brick with stone lintels and has a hipped and gable roof with asphalt shingles. The house was built for its owner, Andrew Hobberlin, between 1910 and 1914 on Lot 12, Concession 3, SDS, part of a land grant to Frederick C. Capreol by the Crown in 1855. Capreol had founded the Peel Manufacturing Company in Port Credit and this property came under the title of his company which was eventually sold to Ida Cunningham in 1903. The land was bought in 1910 by Andrew Hobberlin, President of the House of Hobberlin, Manufacturers of Clothing, located at 151 Yonge Street, Toronto. This house in Port Credit was probably his summer home and was designed by Edward James Lennox (1854-1933), a prominent Toronto architect whose works include Casa Loma, Old Toronto City Hall, and numerous other significant structures in Toronto. Hobberlin sold the property in 1922 and it went through several owners before being purchased by Helen and Edward R. Butcher in 1974. The house is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850