Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2167 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Gooderham Estate
Date of Original Photo: 2005
Date Built: 1870
Location: 929 Old Derry Road West

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Charles Horace “Holly” Gooderham commissioned this opulent twenty-one room Italianate brick manor at a cost of $30,000. William Gooderham, founding partner of Gooderham and Worts, had summoned Holly, his son, to the village to oversee his business endeavours therein. Upon William Gooderham’s death in 1881, the business, including Holly, left the village. The Gooderham Mansion served as a tourist resort, at the turn of the century, and as a seminary in the mid twentieth century. Many notable figures resided in the house, including artist George Chavignaud, Member of Parliament Walter Curry and Boer War veteran Major General Francois-Louis Lessard.
Copyright: City of Mississauga
Agency: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
pcomapp01:8851