Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1027 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cherry Hill House, Dixie
  View Full size image
Title: Cherry Hill House, Dixie
Identifier: MC0484
Date of Original Photo: 1972
Date Built: ca 1822
Image Type: Slide, 35 mm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Donor: Joseph De Rijck
Location: 680 Silver Creek Blvd., pt. Lot 11 S, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 680 Silver Creek Blvd. Conc 1 NDS, pt. Lot 11 S. Cherry Hill was the family home of Joseph Silverthorn and his wife, Jane Chisholm. Silverthorn, a United Empire Loyalist, received a crown grant of 200 acres on Lot 11, Concession 1, NDS, on 6 November 1807. Cherry Hill may be the oldest house in Mississauga. The stone foundation is said to date from 1811, while the main structure was built in 1822. The name derives from the cherry trees which lined the driveway from the gate to the barn. Ownership of Cherry Hill passed from the Silverthorn family in the 1950s, and it was eventually acquired by S. B. McLaughlin and Associates, who moved the house to its present location in 1974. Cherry Hill was then leased to Triomphe Inc. who fully restored it and opened the Cherry Hill House Restaurant and Duke of Marlborough Pub in 1979. This photo shows the exterior of the building before the move. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851