Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2760 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: King Cemetery, Mount Charles, Malton
Identifier: F798
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1832
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Cemeteries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 7085 Dixie Road

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 7085 Dixie Road. Conc 4 EHS, pt. Lot 11; RP43R2908 part 4 & 7. Located in the area known historically as Mount Charles, on the east side of Dixie Road, North of Derry Road East. It was established in 1832, following the generous donation of one half acre of land around 1830 by Charles King. The land was part of an original 100 acre patent from the Crown. The cemetery remained active until 1960, when the final interment occurred.

In total, there are 112 known interments -- based on information gathered from the tombstones. In 1868, Charles King sold his land to Robert Craig, and in 1869 he legally sold the half acre cemetery collectively to Henry King, Robert McLeod, James Jackson, Edward McBride, Charles Irvine and James Savage who are assumed to be trustees of the cemetery as the land registry title states that it is "now enclosed with a fence for the use of a burying ground and for no others use." Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850