|Description: The former Central Library at the corner of Dundas Street and Confederation Parkway, 110 Dundas Street West. In November 1956 the residents of Toronto Township voted to establish a township public library. This library system included existing association libraries in Cooksville, Meadowvale, Malton, the Gardens, Clarkson and Lorne Park. The main branch of the Toronto Township Public Library was set up in 1957 in a small commercial building on Dundas Street. |
By 1960 the Central branch had moved across Dundas Street to larger quarters in the basement of the former Methodist Church. The building was quite cramped and was eventually demolished in 1963, shortly after the library moved to a new 10,000 square foot building to the west of the Municipal Offices at Confederation Square. The Toronto Township Public Library now consisted of the Central Library and four branch libraries at Park Royal, Lorne Park, Malton and Meadowvale. In 1967, Centennial Year, three new branches were built, in Lakeview, Clarkson-Lorne Park, and Malton, and the Streetsville Branch was expanded. Toronto Township became the Town of Mississauga on January 1, 1964 and the library name was changed to the Mississauga Public Library. In 1972 the Central Library was expanded by the addition of a new entrance, an upper level, with an elevator, and was also made handicapped accessible. Eventually this building outgrew customer demand, and in 1976 the Technical Services Department, the Bookmobile and Administration had moved to other sites.
A new Central Library was built on Burnhamthorpe Road West, in front of the Civic Centre. The old Central Library closed on June 29, 1991 and the collections and staff moved to the new Central at 301 Burnhamthorpe Road West.