Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4263 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Port Credit Library
Identifier: G475
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1962
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 20 Lakeshore Road East

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The Port Credit Library, the second oldest library in Mississauga, began in October 1896 when a group of citizens of the town met at the new Riverside School to discuss plans for a public library. The membership fee was 50 cents a year and the library was open six hours a week Through memberships, donations and a grant from the government the library was able to acquire 500 books by 1898, and the Brampton Conservator reported favourably on the library in the public school by the Credit River. To qualify for the government grant the library had to have at least one hundred members and its popularity was such that by 1908 there were nearly 200 subscribers and 1,200 books. The library continued to operate in Riverside School but by 1914 there was an increasing need for classroom space and eventually the library was forced to move to the Bowling Club on Park Street. This was but a temporary solution and once again the library was on the move to a private home opposite the Catholic Church. In 1921 the library rented the former Orange Hall on property owned by St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, which agreed to donate the building to the Village of Port Credit on condition that it be moved off their property where the new church was being built, so in 1927 the library was moved again to Stavebank Road, behind the fire hall, where it remained for almost thirty years. Various methods were used to raise money for the support of the library, particularly by the Port Credit Branch of the I. O. D. E. In 1944, the Peel County Library Co-operative was formed and Port Credit became one of twelve small libraries to join. Membership of $25 per year entitled the library to the loan of boxes of mainly new books which were changed every few months. After the war the population of Port Credit increased and there was a call for a tax-supported library rather than the association type, and by a vote of the ratepayers in December 1952 the library became the Port Credit Public Library. In 1956 the library moved to rented premises at 106 Lakeshore Road East, and in 1961 plans were made for a new library in Memorial Park. The new building was opened on June 7, 1962 with the addition of a spacious auditorium made possible by a grant from Texaco Ltd. In 1974, with the creation of the City of Mississauga from the former Town of Mississauga and the municipalities of Streetsville and Port Credit, the Port Credit Library became a branch of the Mississauga Library System.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851