Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5073 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: St. Lawrence Starch Company, Administration Building, Port Credit
Identifier: G574
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: ca 1930s
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit
Location: 141 Lakeshore Road East

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 141 Lakeshore Road East. Plan 300E, Lot 10, 11. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was built on this site in 1889 under the management of John Gray. At this time the plant ground about 2,000 bushels of corn per week to produce corn starch and glucose for industrial use. Later products included Bee Hive Golden Syrup, Durham Corn Starch and Ivory Laundry Starch, as well as St. Lawrence Corn Oil. In 1915 the original frame building burned and was replaced by one of red brick.

In 1990 the plant was closed. The smokestack was demolished in 1994. This slide shows the Administration Building, a two storey red brick structure, built by St. Lawrence Starch during the Depression of the 1930s in order to keep staff members employed when there was little in the way of work and build a sense of pride in the firm. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851