Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5825 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Wilcox Hotel, Port Credit
Identifier: H106
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1840
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit
Location: 32 Front Street South

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 32 Front Street South. Plan 300-W, Pt. 1 & 2. Built in the late 1840s by James Wilcox and used as a hotel for some years, until the building of the Great Western Railway between Toronto and Hamilton, and the 1855 fire in Port Credit, as a result of which, much of the traffic which would have passed through Port Credit was then diverted. Wilcox gave up hotel-keeping and became a sea captain.

The building may have been used for Presbyterian church services until a church was built in 1892. It was later divided into two dwellings and was used as a boarding house, and at one time, as a Temperance hotel. Has been restored and is presently a commercial building. This property has a heritage easement with the City of Mississauga and now forms part of the Old Port Credit Village Heritage District.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851