Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3118 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
MacEwan House and Barn, Entrance, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: MacEwan House and Barn, Entrance, Erindale
Identifier: PH2389
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1447 Burnhamthorpe Road West, pt. Lot 5, 6 43R-13158, Range 4 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1447 Burnhamthorpe Road West. Range 4 NDS, pt. Lot 5, 6, 43R-13158. The former address of this property was 1465 Burnhamthorpe Road West, but it is now considered part of Riverwood. The MacEwan House is a single storey Credit River stone structure dating approximately to the middle of the 19th century. It was built as a summer cottage, possibly on the site of an old pickle factory, prior to construction in 1919 of the main house, "Riverwood", for W. R. P. Parker. The cottage was used as a summer home until Riverwood was completed. After Mr. Parker died in 1931 his widow sold the house to her daughter, Margaret MacEwan. An addition was added in 1945. The barn, to the east of the MacEwan House, is an English tri-partite barn, of a type built between 1600 and 1900, and is quite rare. The MacEwan House and barn, along with the entire Riverwood property, are designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851