Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 5305 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Streetsville Methodist Church
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville Methodist Church
Identifier: MC0790
Date of Original Photo: 1875
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings -- Ontario -- Streetsville (Mississauga)
Donor: Graydon Clipperton
Location: 274 Queen Street South, pt. Lot 3 E 1/2, Conc 5 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Streetsville Methodist Church, now Streetsville United Church, 274 Queen Street South, Conc 5 WHS, pt. Lot 3 Eż. The first church was built in 1821 for the Methodist congregation which started in 1820. It was a small log building. The second church, a frame building, was built on Maiden Lane in 1835. Owing to a split in the congregation between the Methodist Episcopalians and the Wesleyan Methodists, a third church was built of brick by the Wesleyans in 1846. (This building now forms part of the offices of the Streetsville Public Utilities Commission on Queen Street). The fourth church was built by Josiah Mason in 1875 and dedicated by Egerton Ryerson in 1876. Wings were added in 1950 and 1965. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. The photo is from a slide presentation made by Graydon Clipperton to the Streetsville Historical Society at the Streetsville Public Library in 1972 and donated to the library in 1973. Description as of July 2015.
Agency: Mississauga Library System