Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 20 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: 50mm Shells Found on Former Arsenal Lands
Identifier: SK0073
Date of Original Photo: Spring 1999
Image Type: Col Photo, 15x10 cm
Subject: Munitions - Ontario - Mississauga
Donor: Alan Skeoch
Location: Marie Curtis Park

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: These 50mm shells were unearthed during an environmental clean up in 1999. The area was used as a shooting range in World War II for weapons produced by Canada Small Arms Limited. Marie Curtis Park is situated on Lake Ontario on both sides of Etobicoke Creek. It was created in 1954 after high flood waters due to Hurricane Hazel devastated a number of properties. Some of the public parkland was purchased by the former Village of Long Branch, Metropolitan Toronto and the Province of Ontario. An additional gift of land from the Canadian Arsenals property was added. The park was named after Marie Curtis, a former Reeve of the Village of Long Branch and a member of Metro Council.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851