Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3426 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Meadowvale General Store and Post Office
  View Full size image
Title: Meadowvale General Store and Post Office
Identifier: PH2770
Date of Original Photo: 1990
Date Built: ca 1872
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12.5x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Meadowvale (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 1060 Old Derry Road, pt. Lot 10, Conc 3 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1060 Old Derry Road. Conc 3 WHS pt. Lot 10. The original building, with a Credit Valley stone foundation and vertical wood siding, was built in 1872 and now forms an extension to the main building, a two-storey red brick structure, built in 1916. In 1917 the Post Office moved to the general store and remained there until 1967, when the Post Office was moved across the street. In 1981 the Post Office moved back to 1060 Old Derry Road, which had been purchased by Robert and Jody Harrison. Jody Harrison became postmistress and officially opened the Meadowvale Post Office, General Store and Craft Shop that year. The building was purchased by Marguerita Fromm in 1983 who continued to operate it as the Post Office until her retirement in 1989 at which time the decision was made to install post boxes for the residents on the corner of Old Mill Lane. As of 2008 Mrs. Fromm continued to reside in this building which is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act and is located within the Meadowvale Village Heritage Conservation District.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851