|Description: 141 Lakeshore Road East. Plan 300E, Lot 10,11. This photograph, taken by John Gray the manager at the time, shows the original frame building which burned in 1915. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was built on this site in 1889 under the management of John Gray. At this time the plant ground about 2,000 bushels of corn per week to produce corn starch and glucose for industrial use. Later products included Bee Hive Golden Syrup, Durham Corn Starch and Ivory Laundry Starch., as well as St. Lawrence Corn Oil. In 1915 the original frame building burned and was replaced by one of red brick. |
In 1990 the plant was closed. The smokestack was demolished in 1994. Heritage listed. This slide is a copy of a photograph in Betty Clarkson, At the mouth of the Credit, 1977. Credit given to Lorne Joyce Collection.