Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5827 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Wilcox Hotel, Port Credit
Identifier: SK0120
Date of Original Photo: May 1999
Date Built: ca 1840s
Image Type: Col Photo, 15x10 cm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit
Donor: Alan Skeoch
Location: 32 Front Street South,

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Located at 32 Front Street South. Built in the late 1840s by James Wilcox and used as a hotel for some years, until the building of the Great Western Railway between Toronto and Hamilton and the 1855 fire in Port Credit, as a result of which, much of the traffic which would have passed through Port Credit was then diverted. Wilcox gave up hotel-keeping and became a sea captain. The building may have been used for Presbyterian church services until a church was built in 1892. It was later divided into two dwellings and was used as a boarding house and at one time, as a Temperance hotel. The building has been restored and used as a commercial property. This property has a heritage easement with the City of Mississauga and now forms part of the Old Port Credit Village Heritage District.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850