Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5031 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: St. Ilija Macedonian Orthodox Church, Streetsville
Identifier: SK0130
Date of Original Photo: August 1999
Date Built: 1856
Image Type: Col Photo, 15x10 cm
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Streetsville
Donor: James Cooper
Location: 1775 Bristol Road, pt. Lot 3 E1/2, Conc 4 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1775 Bristol Road. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 3 E1/2. St. Ilija Macedonian Orthodox Church was formerly St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church. The original Catholic church was built in 1856 on the east bank of the Credit River, on land given by Richard Cuthbert who lived opposite. The church was consecrated in July 1858 by Bishop De Charbonnel. It was originally called St. Joseph's, then St. Dunstan's, then St. Joseph's again. The church was deconsecrated in 1987, became the Rivercrest Art Gallery, and was sold again in 1997. St. Ilija Macedonian Orthodox Church was destroyed by fire in early 2000. The building was demolished, but a new church was erected on the same site. The original building was designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851