Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 583 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Britannia Schoolhouse, SS # 12
Identifier: SK0136
Date of Original Photo: August 1999
Date Built: 1864
Image Type: Col Photo, 15x10 cm
Subject: Britannia Schoolhoouse - History
Donor: James Cooper
Location: 5576 Hurontario Street, pt. Lot 3 Eż, Conc 1 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 5576 Hurontario Street. Conc 1 WHS, pt. Lot 3 Eż. Britannia School was built in 1864, on 200 acres of land which was granted by the Crown in 1833 to three trustees, William Thompson, James Magrath and Joseph Gardner, for the endowment, support and maintenance of a school. The land was operated as a farm by John Ellis from 1939 to 1971. In 1956 the school was closed. In 1978 the City of Mississauga designated the school as a heritage property and restoration of the school began and was completed in 1982. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850