Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2442 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Hobberlin House, Port Credit
Identifier: M438
Date of Original Photo: 1919
Date Built: Between 1910 and 1914
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit
Location: 20 Ben Machree Drive, Plan 122, pt. Blk X

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This photograph is an aerial view of a reception held at the Hobberlin Estate for soldiers returning from the Great War. The picnic was held on the Civic Holiday, August 4, 1919, to honour the soldiers of Port Credit and the surrounding township. The two-and-a-half storey residence is constructed of brick with stone lintels and has a hipped and gable roof with asphalt shingles. It was built for its owner, Andrew Hobberlin, between 1910 and 1914 on Lot 12, Concession 3, SDS, part of a land grant to Frederick C. Capreol by the Crown in 1855. Capreol had founded the Peel Manufacturing Company in Port Credit and this property came under the title of his company which was eventually sold to Ida Cunningham in 1903. The land was bought in 1910 by Andrew Hobberlin, President of the House of Hobberlin, Manufacturers of Clothing, located at 151 Yonge Street, Toronto. This house in Port Credit was probably his summer home and was designed by Edward James Lennox (1854-1933), a prominent Toronto architect whose works include Casa Loma, Old Toronto City Hall, and numerous other significant structures in Toronto. Hobberlin sold the property in 1922 and it went through several owners before being purchased by Helen and Edward R. Butcher in 1974. The house is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850