Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4526 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Riverwood, Outbuilding, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Riverwood, Outbuilding, Erindale
Identifier: RP0005
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1919
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings -- Ontario -- Erindale (Mississauga)
Donor: Recreation and Parks, Community Services
Location: 1447 Burnhamthorpe Road West, pt. Lot 5, 6, 43R-9772, Range 4 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1447 Burnhamthorpe Road West. Range 4 NDS, pt. Lot 5, 6, 43R-9772. This property consists of the house known as "Riverwood", the former Bird property, and the MacEwan house and barn. It originally belonged to the McDougall and McGrath families, changed hands several times and was purchased in 1913 by W. R. P. Parker, a Toronto lawyer. Riverwood, the main house, was built in Arts and Crafts style in 1919 of Credit Valley stone. It was designed by Alvan Sherlock Mathers, of Mathers and Haldenby. Before Riverwood was built, Parker built a stone cottage, now known as the MacEwan House, from what existed of a former stone building, possibly the remains of an old pickle factory. Parker died in 1931 and his widow sold the cottage to her daughter, Margaret MacEwan. The barn on the property dates back to the 19th century. In 1956 Riverwood was sold to Hyliard and Grace Chappell. After Hyl Chappell┐s death in 1988, the property was sold to the Credit Valley Conservation Authority and acquired later by the City of Mississauga. Plans for development as of 2008 included a variety of public gardens and the preservation of natural areas. The entire property is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. This is a 1989 photo of an outbuilding on the property. Description as of March 2016.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850