Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4301 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Presentation to City Council of Public Gardens Feasibility Study, City Centre
  View Full size image
Title: Presentation to City Council of Public Gardens Feasibility Study, City Centre
Identifier: RP0019
Date of Original Photo: 1990
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Municipal government -- Ontario -- Mississauga
Donor: Recreation and Parks, Community Services
Location: 300 City Centre Drive, Pt Lot 18, 43R9721 Pt of Part 1, Conc 2 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 300 City Centre Drive. Conc 2 NDS. Pt. Lot 18, 43R9721 Pt of Part 1. At a public meeting in April 1990 at Mississauga Civic Centre Council heard from Recreation and Parks, as well as various deputations, including the Mississauga Garden Council, on the feasibility of establishing a public gardens on the Riverwood Estate property. This property consists of the house known as "Riverwood", the former Bird property, and the MacEwan house and barn. It originally belonged to the McDougall and McGrath families, changed hands several times and was purchased in 1913 by W. R. P. Parker, a Toronto lawyer. Riverwood, the main house, was built in Arts and Crafts style in 1919 of Credit Valley stone. It was designed by Alvan Sherlock Mathers, of Mathers and Haldenby. Before Riverwood was built, Parker built a stone cottage, now known as the MacEwan House, from what existed of a former stone building, possibly the remains of an old pickle factory. Parker died in 1931 and his widow sold the cottage to her daughter, Margaret MacEwan. The barn on the property dates back to the 19th century. In 1956 Riverwood was sold to Hyliard and Grace Chappell. After Hyl Chappell┐s death in 1988, the property was sold to the Credit Valley Conservation Authority and acquired later by the City of Mississauga. Plans for development included a variety of public gardens and the preservation of natural areas. The entire property is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. Description as of March 2016.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851