Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3385 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
McFarren Brick, Streetsville
  View Full size image
Title: McFarren Brick, Streetsville
Identifier: N109
Date of Original Photo: 1984
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Brickworks - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: Thomas Street

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The McFarren Plant, south on Thomas Street, was one of three brickworks including Canada Brick in the Streetsville area. F. B. McFarren started the Interprovincial Brick Company in 1914 in Cheltenham, Ontario. He operated it for 14 years with the exception of 1915 and 1916 when he was with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in France. In 1928 control of his brick company was acquired by Cooksville Brick. Later in 1954 it became part of the Domtar chain, but McFarren remained in management till 1955. In 1929, prior to the Great Depression, McFarren acquired the Streetsville Brick Company on Thomas Street and renamed it McFarren Brick. The McFarren Brick plant was eventually acquired by Canada Brick which went through various owners until it was acquired by Hansen PLC. Hansen closed the Streetsville operation in 2002. Description as of April 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850