Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1811 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Erindale Dam
Identifier: N448
Date of Original Photo: 1985
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Hydroelectric power plants - Ontario - Mississauga

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The Erindale Dam was completed in 1910-11 by the Erindale Light and Power Company. Electricity was supplied to the village of Erindale and also to New Toronto and West Toronto. Ontario Hydro bought the plant in 1916 and continued to operate it until 1923 when the Chippewa plant near Niagara came into operation. The dam was abandoned, and blown up in 1941, due to technical problems. The area became a famous swimming spot until 1977 when the remains of the powerhouse were removed. The Erindale Dam had no connection with the early mills. These were powered by the mill- race from the banks of which the photograph was taken. In 1859 a grist mill stood a little to the right and the sawmill below Dundas Street. This photo taken June 1985, shows the remains of the Erindale Dam.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851