Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5254 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Streetsville Grammar School
  View Full size image
Title: Streetsville Grammar School
Identifier: PH3154
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1851
Image Type: Slide, 35 mm
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 327 Queen Street South, pt. Lot 3 W 1/2, Conc 4 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 327 Queen Street South. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 3 W. The back part of the building was built in 1851 on land bought from Timothy Street. The first teacher was Rev. J. Davis, and there was an enrolment of 15 to 20 pupils. It was the first grammar school in the area immediately west of Toronto and served the district of Etobicoke, Toronto Township and part of Halton County. The 1851 census notes: Grammar school of brick; can hold 80 to 100 pupils. In 1877 two rooms, an office and entrances were added to the front in Tuscan style architecture. The building was used as a high school until 1951. It was remodelled for use as a Town Hall and Police Station in 1966. In 1978 it became the Streetsville Kinsmen Senior Citizens Community Centre. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851