Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 457 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Bird House, Grounds, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Bird House, Grounds, Erindale
Identifier: N971
Date of Original Photo: 1990
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1447 Burnhamthorpe Road West, pt. Lot 5,6, 43R-9772, Range 4 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Previously located at 1469 Burnhamthorpe Road West, the property now forms part of Riverwood at 1447 Burnhamthorpe Road West. The house was owned by Ellen Bird until it was purchased by the City of Mississauga, along with the MacEwan and Riverwood properties, for the purpose of creating a public garden park. It was rented in 1981 by Lois and Brian Stevens who ran a cat shelter there for some time. Over the next several years there was much controversy regarding the shelter and the City eventually sent a notice of eviction, with the intention of demolishing the building. The house, being on the edge of the river bank, was considered unsafe. The residence and out buildings have all been removed and the only physical remnant of the former structures on this site is the landscape feature of a stone retaining wall running parallel to the river. It forms part of the Riverwood property and is designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851