Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 721 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Burnhamthorpe District Library Construction, 1976
Identifier: Q209
Date of Original Photo: 1976
Date Built: 1976
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Public libraries - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 1350 Burnhamthorpe Road East, pt. Lot 6, Conc. 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This photo shows workmen laying the carpet in the interior of the new Burnhamthorpe District Library at 1350 Burnhamthorpe Road East on the site of the former Branch, in 1976. In 1974 the firm of Raymond Moriyama, Architects, was chosen to design the new Burnhamthorpe District Library. The library would serve not only as a collection of library materials but also as a community cultural centre, incorporating in its design a theatre, meeting rooms, a community service and lounge area, the entire space covering 31,500 square feet. It also incorporated the Administration and Technical Services Departments from the Central Library. The new Burnhamthorpe District Library was officially opened on October 3, 1976. In 1977 the building won an OMRC Design Award, and it received an Institutional Honourable Mention in the 1981 Mississauga Urban Design Awards. In 1991, when the new Central Library opened, the Administration Offices and Technical Services Department moved from the Burnhamthorpe District Branch to the Central Library, paving the way for the Burnhamthorpe Branch to be renovated and expanded in 1992. In 2010 the Burnhamthorpe Branch Library (as it is now called) underwent considerable renovation and the address was changed from 1350 Burnhamthorpe Road East to 3650 Dixie Road. The Burnhamthorpe Branch Library is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850