Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2868 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Generating Station, Coal Pile
Identifier: R132
Date of Original Photo: 1972
Date Built: 1962
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Hydroelectric power plants - Ontario - Mississauga
Donor: Ralph Crysler
Location: 800 Hydro Road

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A view of the coal pile at the Lakeview Generating Station, a coal-fired hydroelectric power plant. The station was opened by Premier John Robarts June 20, 1962. At that time it was expected to have a generating capacity equal to Ontario Hydro's two major Niagara River developments and was expected to cost an estimated $217,000,000. Construction of the Lakeview station on 120 acres of lakefront land in Toronto Township, on the former site of the Long Branch Rifle Range, began in June 1958. The four chimneys of the Lakeview Station, 500 ft. tall, known as "The Four Sisters", could be seen for long distances on Lake Ontario. The Station was closed April 30, 2005 by the Ontario Government, after 43 years of service.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851