Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2863 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Lakeview Generating Station, Aerial View
Identifier: R135
Date of Original Photo: 1972
Date Built: 1962
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Hydroelectric power plants - Ontario - Mississauga
Donor: Ralph Crysler
Location: 800 Hydro Road

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: An aerial view of the Lakeview Generating Station, showing the four chimneys known as the "Four Sisters". In 1971 the firm of Crysler & Lathem, consulting engineers, was retained by the Credit Valley Conservation Authority to prepare a plan for the development of the Mississauga waterfront sector of the Metropolitan Toronto Planning Area. The study included this aerial view of the coal-fired Lakeview Generating Station at 800 Hydro Road which was opened by Premier John Robarts June 20, 1962. At that time it was expected to have a generating capacity equal to Ontario Hydro's two major Niagara River developments and was expected to cost an estimated $217,000,000. Construction of the Lakeview station on 120 acres of lakefront land in Toronto Township, on the former site of the Long Branch Rifle Range, began in June 1958. The four chimneys of the Lakeview Station, 500 ft. tall, known as "The Four Sisters", could be seen for long distances on Lake Ontario. The Station was closed April 30, 2005 by the Ontario Government, after 43 years of service.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851