Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5152 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
St. Peter's Anglican Church, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: St. Peter's Anglican Church, Erindale
Identifier: MC0432
Date of Original Photo: ca 1850
Date Built: 1827
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Donor: Mississauga Historical Society
Location: 1745 Dundas Street West, Lot 3, Conc Range 1 CIR

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1745 Dundas Street West. Conc Range 1 CIR, NDS, pt. Lot 3. This is a photo of the original church, built in 1826 and consecrated in 1828. The view shows the village of Springfield looking east towards St. Peter's Church on the hill. The church was of white frame construction, 52 feet long and 52 feet wide. The parcel of land on which the church was built was purchased for ten shillings by Peter Adamson, Joseph Adamson, Alexander Proudfoot, William Thompson, Frederick Starr Jarvis and Henry Carpenter. The Rev. James Magrath, who had come from Ireland with his wife and family, was appointed the first Rector. In 1887 the first church was razed to make way for construction of the second church, of Credit Valley stone. In 1910 a tower and spire were added. Listed on the Heritage Register. The photo was most likely taken after 1850 when the telegraph line was installed between Toronto and Hamilton.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851