Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 922 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Cawthra-Elliot Estate (Lotten), Formal Garden, Dixie
  View Full size image
Title: Cawthra-Elliot Estate (Lotten), Formal Garden, Dixie
Identifier: MC0440
Date Built: 1926
Image Type: Col. Photo, 9x9 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Donor: Mississauga Historical Society
Location: 1507 Cawthra Road, Lot 10, Conc 2 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1507 Cawthra Road. Conc 2 SDS, Lot 10. This two-and-a-half storey, five bay facade house in Georgian Revival style was built in 1926 by Grace Cawthra-Elliot on land granted to Joseph Cawthra in 1808. Grace was the granddaughter of Joseph Cawthra. Although she lived at Yeadon Hall in Toronto, this was her summer home. Much of the interior wood panelling came from Yeadon Hall which was built in 1867 by Henry Cawthra, Grace’s father. There were extensive outbuildings: garages, woodsheds and gazebos. There is also the vestige of a formal walled garden. The building was acquired by the City of Mississauga and underwent extensive renovations (not restoration) in 1990. The surrounding woodlot is maintained and managed by the City. Designated under the terms of Ontario Heritage Act. This photo shows the formal garden as seen from the back door.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850