Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1385 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Council Chamber Ceiling, Mississauga Civic Centre
  View Full size image
Title: Council Chamber Ceiling, Mississauga Civic Centre
Identifier: MC0578
Date of Original Photo: ca 1987
Date Built: 1986
Image Type: Col. Photo, 19x19 cm.
Subject: City halls - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 300 City Centre Drive, pt. Lot 18, Conc 2 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 300 City Centre Drive. Conc 2 NDS pt. Lot 18. This is a photo of the 30 metre diameter domed ceiling in the Council Chamber rotunda, second floor of the Mississauga Civic Centre. It was designed by Sharon McCann and took six weeks to be completed. The artwork depicts the constellations combined with images of the Ojibway legend of the Great Bear and the Seven Hunters. Mississauga's first City Hall at 1 City Centre Drive was built in 1969 and the municipal offices in Cooksville moved there in 1971. As the municipality grew in size staff outgrew these offices and plans were made to build a new City Hall and Civic Square at the proposed new downtown core, located at Burnhamthorpe west of Hurontario Street. In 1982 the City of Mississauga invited Canadian architects to participate in a national architectural competition to select the architect and design for a new City Hall. 627 architects or groups of architects registered, from which 246 submissions were received. The winning design went to Jones and Kirkland and combined the administrative offices of City Hall with a civic square, great hall and public meeting rooms for citizens and civic functions. The groundbreaking ceremony for the new Civic Centre took place on May 8, 1984, and the building itself was officially opened by the Duke and Duchess of York on July 18, 1987.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851