Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 4748 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Sandford (Sanford) Farm House, City Centre
  View Full size image
Title: Sandford (Sanford) Farm House, City Centre
Identifier: MC0579
Date of Original Photo: 1908
Date Built: ca 1870
Image Type: B&W Photo, 15x10 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Mississauga
Location: 784 Eglinton Avenue West, pt. Lot 21, Conc 2 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 784 Eglinton Avenue West. Conc 2 NDS, pt. Lot 21. The photo, taken in 1908, shows the Sandford family in front of the house. The land on which the farm is situated was originally granted to the Crown. In 1828 the Crown granted the entire 200 acres to King's College (the predecessor to the University of Toronto). The north half of the property was sold to William Burgess in 1851 for 100. Burgess's daughter and her husband, Alfred Ecclestone, settled on the property in 1863, and his ownership is shown in the 1877 Atlas of Peel County. The entire property was acquired in 1890 by Martin Sandford (also spelled Sanford), and in 1910 his son, Thomas Edward Sandford, acquired title to the north half of Lot 21, following the death of his father in 1909. Thomas E. Sandford had married Theresa McCully of Port Credit in 1907 and the farm eventually passed to his son Vincent, and his daughter, Agnes, who continued to live on the farm until 1999. The house was an L-shaped one and a half storey red brick structure, in Gothic Revival style, with yellow brick quoining on the corners. There was a wraparound porch with decorative bargeboard. After the Sandfords left in 1999 there was a series of fires and vandalism. The property was acquired in 2000 by Southlawn Developments, and although it had been designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act, the house had deteriorated to such an extent that a demolition permit was granted in 2006.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851