Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 3133 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Magrath Cottage, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Magrath Cottage, Erindale
Identifier: MC0583
Date of Original Photo: 1969
Date Built: ca 1840
Image Type: B&W Photo, 10x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Location: Lot 6, Range 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: The Magrath Cottage was most likely located at Lot 6, Range 1 NDS. It was probably built for Thomas Magrath, the eldest son of the Rev. James Magrath. Rev. James Magrath came out with his family to Upper Canada in 1825 as Rector of St. Peterís, at Springfield-on-the-Credit, later Erindale. Thomas Magrath was married some time around 1840 while he was still quartered in Kingston with his regiment, and his only child, a son, was born there January 31, 1843. His wife died a few days later and the child was brought up by Miss Anna Magrath, daughter of the Rector, in her father's home. When Tom left the army he returned to Erindale and lived with the family to at least 1846. It seems unlikely that he ever lived in the Cottage. The Cottage was demolished some time after 1969.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851