Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 5654 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Trinity Anglican Church, Streetsville
Identifier: PH0131
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1843
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12x8 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 69 Queen Street South, pt. Lot 5 W1/2, Conc 4 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 69 Queen Street South. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 5 W┐. The parish was founded in 1841, with Rev. R. J. McGeorge as the first rector. The land was given by Henry Rutledge (The Commodore) and the bricks for the building came from his brickyard. The cornerstone of the church was laid in October 1842 by the Rev. Bishop John Strachan. The church was completed in 1843, and underwent several alterations and additions. In 1876 the chancel was built and a sub-chancel put in, the gallery was removed and a tower erected. In 1896 the windows were changed from square top to Gothic, taking away the Greek Revival influence. The church was destroyed by fire (arson) on April 26 1998, and demolished. A new church was built on the site and opened September 9, 2000. This is a 1978 view of the east fašade.
Agency: Mississauga Library System