Browse & Search All Images
Displaying image 5657 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Trinity Anglican Church Cemetery, Streetsville
Identifier: PH0138
Date of Original Photo: 1993
Date Built: 1843
Image Type: Col. Photo, 15x10 cm.
Subject: Cemeteries - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 69 Queen Street South, pt. Lot 5 W1/2, Conc 4 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 69 Queen Street South. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 5 W. The parish was founded in 1841, with Rev. R. J. McGeorge as the first rector. The land was given by Henry Rutledge (The Commodore) and the bricks for the building came from his brickyard. The cornerstone of the church was laid in October 1842 by the Rev. Bishop John Strachan. The church was completed in 1843, and underwent several alterations and additions. In 1876 the chancel was built and a sub-chancel put in, the gallery was removed and a tower erected. In 1896 the windows were changed from square top to Gothic, taking away the Greek Revival influence. The church was destroyed by fire (arson) on April 26 1998, and demolished. A new church was built on the site and opened September 9, 2000. This 1989 photo shows the north-east view with the cemetery in the foreground. It appears that the cemetery was opened about the same time as the church, the first interment being that of Mrs. William Rowe in 1844, according to both the tombstone and burial register. The cemetery is now closed. Description as of August 2018.
Agency: Mississauga Library System