Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1776 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: Embleton-Whaley Store, Streetsville
Identifier: PH0172
Date of Original Photo: 1976
Date Built: ca 1840
Image Type: B&W Photo, 12x8 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 213 Queen Street South, pt. Lot 4 W1/2, Conc 4 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 213 Queen Street South. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 4, W¿. The corner block was purchased by the Embleton family in 1829, and the building dates from the 1840s. From 1854 to 1877 it housed the Library of the Farmers’ and Mechanics’ Institute, after which it was Goodison’s Popular House, a general store. According to Mary Manning’s Historic Buildings Inventory, John Embleton, the owner, lost money on the Credit Valley Railway and moved to the USA. The building was then owned for years by the Goodisons. It became the Post Office between 1931 and 1952 when changes were made to the structure. At the time the photograph was taken, the building was Whaley's Men's Wear. Heritage listed.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850