Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5002 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
null
  View Full size image
Title: St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Streetsville
Identifier: PH0198
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Date Built: 1868
Image Type: B&W Photo, 13x9 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Streetsville (Mississauga)
Location: 295 Queen Street South

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 295 Queen Street South. Conc 4 WHS, pt. Lot 3 W. A view of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church from the cemetery. The fourth building used by Presbyterians in Streetsville, this brick church was erected in 1868. There was probably a log church in 1819. Early records point to a small building at the corner of Pearl and Queen Streets in 1821. This was followed by a frame church in 1824, built on land donated by Timothy Street. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. St. Andrew's Cemetery is also known as Memorial Park Cemetery and the Scotch Burying Ground. In 1824 Timothy Street, an Anglican, gave the Presbyterians some of his land for a burying ground to be used for all denominations and for years this was the only Protestant burying ground in the area. In 1890 Council closed the cemetery and on June 28, 1959, a new stone was erected and the cemetery was re-dedicated as Memorial Park Cemetery, in the City of Mississauga.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850