Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1182 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Clarkson Road Looking South
  View Full size image
Title: Clarkson Road Looking South
Identifier: PH3331
Date of Original Photo: 1989
Image Type: Slide, 35 mm
Subject: Roads - Ontario - Clarkson (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: This is a view of Clarkson Road looking south towards the railway tracks. Warren Clarkson, who came from New York, settled in the area and bought 100 acres of land, on which he built a house in 1819. The corner of Clarkson’s property, later purchased by the Great Western Railway, became known as Clarkson’s Corner. The railway siding carried the same name. The railway station was originally located on the north side of the railway tracks, behind the store and Post Office on Clarkson Road. The railway secured right-of-way across Warren Clarkson’s lots in 1853. It brought commerce to local fruit and vegetable farmers. Corn, apples and especially strawberries were produced in Clarkson. The apostrophe in Clarkson’s was removed from the sign in 1956, although Corner had long since disappeared.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8851