Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2627 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
John A. Walker Cottage, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: John A. Walker Cottage, Port Credit
Identifier: G154
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1917
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Location: 1 Godfrey's Lane, Plan CIR pt. Lot 13

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1 Godfrey's Lane. Plan CIR pt. Lot 13. The following description is from the City of Mississauga's property database: 1 Godfrey's Lane once formed part of a large estate that stretched from Lakeshore Road to Lake Ontario. John Milton Godfrey and his wife Lillie owned the property where they built their lakeside cottage circa 1907. Toronto manufacturer John A. Walker bought 2.864 acres of this land in 1913 for one dollar. The agreement stipulated that the property be used for residential purposes only. The two permitted dwellings were to be of "fair architectural design" and each was not to exceed four thousand dollars in cost. According to the Ruth Konrad Collection of Canadiana records, Walker commissioned architect Murray Brown (1884-1958) to design the bungalow style structure. (Brown is renowned for his theatre designs. His domestic oeuvre includes the John Paris Bickell estate, at 1993 Mississauga Road.) The dwelling appears in a historic 1919 WWI homecoming garden party photograph of the Hobberlin estate to the east (20 Ben Machree Drive). According to Ruth Soules, a long time tenant under the subsequent owner, the house was built in 1917. James Harris, of Harris Abattoir Company, owned the property from 1925 to 1970. Harris Abattoir was a predecessor to Canada Packers Inc., which merged with another company to form Maple Leaf Foods. The property served Harris and wife Ada as a country house initially and later as a source of rental income. The Harris' commissioned a stable to the south (15 Godfrey's Lane) in the 1930s. The Soules converted this structure to a residence in the 1950s. The City demolished it in 1993. The John A. Walker structure is a two-storey stucco bungalow style dwelling with a Credit Valley stone veranda. Typical of the California-born style, it has a large medium pitch roof that extends to cover the "sleeping porch," which is now enclosed by glass. There is also an addition at the rear. A large shed dormer with banded casement windows breaks the roofline of the original structure. The random fenestration and the asymmetrical placement of the two Credit Valley stone chimneys, one perpendicular to the other, imbue the cottage with a picturesque aesthetic. Wood framing surrounds all of the windows except for the basement ones, some of which have stone sills and lintels. This mixture of materials, the wide eaves and exposed rafters are all bungalow style traits. The property is listed on the Heritage Register.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850