Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5124 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
St. Lawrence Starch Company, Waterfront, Port Credit
  View Full size image
Title: St. Lawrence Starch Company, Waterfront, Port Credit
Identifier: PH3442
Date of Original Photo: 1993
Date Built: 1889
Image Type: Col. Photo, 15x10 cm.
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Port Credit (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 141 Lakeshore Road East, Plan 300E, Lots 10, 11

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 141 Lakeshore Road East. Plan 300E, Lot 10,11. The St. Lawrence Starch Company was built on this site in 1889 under the management of John Gray. At this time the plant ground about 2,000 bushels of corn per week to produce corn starch and glucose for industrial use. Later products included Bee Hive Golden Syrup, Durham Corn Starch and Ivory Laundry Starch, as well as St. Lawrence Corn Oil. In 1915 the original frame building burned and was replaced by one of red brick. In 1990 the plant was closed. The smokestack was demolished in 1994. This is a view of the waterfront looking east.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851