Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1564 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Dixie Public School SS #1
  View Full size image
Title: Dixie Public School SS #1
Identifier: C800
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Date Built: 1921
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Location: 2520 Dixie Road, Lot 6, Conc 1 SDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 2520 Dixie Road, Conc 1 SDS, Lot 6. This is the site of the second Dixie School, # 1. The school was built in 1921 and used until a new school was erected in Applewood Heights at 1120 Flagship Drive, and opened in 1960. The old Dixie School was sold to the Ministry of Transport which used it as a Driver Examination Centre until 1982 when the centre was relocated to Brampton. This photo, taken in 1978 when the building was the Driver Examination Centre, is of the plaque located in the centre gable, with the wording "A B C 1 2 3" and the date of construction, 1921. The building was sold in 1983 to Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church and used for services until 2002 when a new church opened for the congregation at 1375 Blundell Road. As of 2008, the Dixie School building was still used by the congregation for special events. It is listed on the Heritage Register. Description as of December 2010.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850