Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1402 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Credit Indian Village Plaque, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Credit Indian Village Plaque, Erindale
Identifier: D243
Date of Original Photo: 1978
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Mississauga Indians
Location: East side of Mississauga Road north of the Queen Elizabeth Way

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: East side of Mississauga Road north of the Queen Elizabeth Way. The plaque was located beside the entrance to the Mississaugua Golf and Country Club. It read: "In 1826 the government assisted a band of Mississauga, who had recently been converted to Christianity, to settle in this vicinity, and within five years laid out a village plot and constructed log cottages and a sawmill. Methodist missionaries notably Peter Jones and Egerton Ryerson, ministered to the converts, who in 1829 built a combined schoolhouse and chapel. By 1837 about 50 houses had been erected for the Indians. Three years later they had approximately 500 acres under cultivation. Pressure from local white settlement and a decline in the Indian population led to the closing of the mission and the return of the major portion of the Mississauga to the Grand River Reserve in 1847." The plaque was removed from its location and as of December 2010 has not been replaced.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850