Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 2700 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Justin House, Meadowvale
  View Full size image
Title: Justin House, Meadowvale
Identifier: K199
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: ca 1870
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Meadowvale (Mississauga)
Location: 7253 Winston Churchill Blvd., pt. Lot 13, Conc 6 WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 7523 Winston Churchill Blvd. Conc 6 WHS, pt. Lot 13. Formerly listed on the Heritage Inventory. The following description of the house is from a report, dated September 11, 1990, from R. G. B. Edmunds, Commissioner of Planning and Building, to the Chairman and members of the LACAC. "The house, known as Easydale, was featured in the 1877 Illustrated Historical Atlas of Peel County, and was probably built in the late 1860s or early 1870s. The original owner of the property was Martin Justin, Sr., who was born in Queen's County, Ireland, in 1790. He applied for a land grant in 1819 for the W 1/2 of Lot 13 and W 1/2 of Lot 12, Conc. 6, Toronto Township, a total of 200 acres. However, he died intestate before the land claims were finalized and was survived by his wife Eliza, and two sons. Both Eliza and the eldest son, William, applied to gain title to the land. In 1846, William Justin won legal title to both lots and sold the W 1/2 Lot 13, Conc 6, to his brother, Martin, Jr., for 600 sterling. William Justin became the Magistrate of Streetsville and an upstanding member of the community." At the time the photo was taken (1980) the property was owned by Lisgar Twin Service and later (1990) by Entas Developments, who had made a proposal to develop the site for purposes of high-density office/commercial use. Edmunds' report recommended that the property be designated but it was demolished in 1997. Description as of December 2010.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp01:8850