Browse & Search All Images
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1805 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Erindale Community Hall
  View Full size image
Title: Erindale Community Hall
Identifier: K634
Date of Original Photo: 1980
Date Built: 1928
Image Type: Slide
Subject: Historic buildings - Ontario - Erindale (Mississauga)
Location: 1620 Dundas Street West, Plan TOR 7, pt. Lot 1

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 1620 Dundas Street West. Plan TOR 7, pt. Lot 1. The hall was built in 1928 of Credit Valley stone on the site of a general store which had been operated by James Magrath opposite the Royal Exchange Hotel. As the upper storey of this building was used as a court - James Magrath also being the magistrate - it was called the Town Hall. By 1851, however, the younger James Magrath had built a new store and the building became the Springfield Hotel and Tavern. It was once again used as the Town Hall when the Magrath family handed the building over to the village. The Town Hall, along with other buildings, was destroyed by fire in 1919. In 1928 the Women's Institute approached the village with plans to pay towards the building of a new hall on the same site. Erindale Community Hall was built by Samuel Sherratt, a building contractor from Lakeview, and officially opened by Lieutenant Governor W. R. Ross on November 1st, 1928. The building is listed on the Heritage Register. Description as of January 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8851