Lewis Turner Bradley and his twin, William Brown Bradley, were born in Savannah, Georgia in
1771. Lewis's parents were Richard and Sarah Turner Bradley. Lewis had one older sister,
When the Revolutionary War broke out, Richard Bradley was enlisted in the British Army
Commissary. Richard Bradley died prior to 1783 as records indicate that Sarah Bradley remarried
a Lieutenant John Jenkins and moved with her three children to Saint John New Brunswick. Lewis
and his brother William petitioned for land near St. John and both received grants. Lewis later
lost this land as he had not fulfilled his settlement obligations. It is assumed that Lewis was
too busy with his step father's farm to make the necessary improvements on his own land at this
Lewis's stepfather died in 1804. He provided for Lewis in his will by stating that Lewis
should be able to live on his farm as long as he remained "industrious" and
"unmarried". He also stated that if Lewis should marry, he should be provided with
?20.1808 saw two key actions in Lewis's life, he married Elizabeth Merigold and moved with her
family and other Loyalists to Upper Canada. Lewis
had probably been concerned with his future having no land. The prospects of ?20 probably
prompted his marriage and subsequent move.
Lewis and Elizabeth lived for approximately a year and a half in Niagara and then
successfully petitioned for land. They received land in 1810 located in the 3rd Concession,
south of Dundas Street in the Township of Toronto. The lot was adjacent to his wife's father,
Thomas Merigold. This area became know as Merigold's Point and the Bradley's were the third
family to settle there. Lewis fulfilled his settlement duties this time and successfully
petitioned for further land.
Elizabeth had been 19 at the time of her marriage and Lewis 37. They had seven children,
three girls and four boys. All their children survived into adulthood. Lewis died suddenly on
April 1st, 1843 from what appears to have been a stroke. He was buried at Springcreek Cemetery.
He left no will and Elizabeth was left with five children still living at home. The youngest
son, Richard, was only 12 years old. William, the oldest son, gave his mother power of attorney
so that she could sell the house. The Bradley family moved to Trafalgar Township until 1848
when Elizabeth remarried.
Their original homestead at Merigold's Point is now the Bradley Museum although it has been
moved from it's original lakeshore site.
Little is known of Lewis's personality. He was described by neighbour William Thompson as
"a very affectionate and kind attentive husband...always cheerful and lively....and highly
esteemed by all who has the pleasure of his acquaintance..." Lewis was also known to be
community minded as he participated in many civic activities including twice attending the
Grand Jury in the General Quarter Sessions of the Peace.
*All information compiled from The Families of Merigold's Point, by Dorothy L.
Martin, Mississauga Heritage Foundation, 1984.