Britannia Village Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Applewood Farms Barn, Britannia
  View Full size image
Title: Applewood Farms Barn, Britannia
Identifier: PH3549
Date of Original Photo: ca 1990
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x8 cm.
Subject: Barns - Ontario - Britannia (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: Hurontario Street, west side, south of Derry Road, Lot 7, Conc ! WHS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Hurontario Street, west side, south of Derry Road. Conc 1 WHS, Lot 7. This was a Central Ontario Gambrel barn with a rock-faced stone foundation, vertical board siding and a gambrel roof. The Central Ontario barn is virtually ubiquitous in its distribution, although the heaviest concentrations lie in the northern counties. In some areas the gambrel variety is most dominant, while in others, the gable appears more frequently. In the southern counties, the gambrel roof seems to be the most popular. This fact is certainly supported by the pervasiveness of the gambrel roof on surviving Central Ontario Barns within the City of Mississauga… In general, the foundation storey served as the stable, while the upper storey consisted of three types of space: the Drive Floor (used for work space and storage of tools and machinery), the Granary (used for storing crops and for loading crops on to wagons outside the barn), and the Storage Mow (used for storage of hay, straw, unthreshed grains, and other crops). Many barns also featured a loft. In 1859 this site was owned by W. H. Reeves, Justice of the Peace. According to the Historical Atlas of Peel County, the owner in 1877 was a farmer, J. Wesley Might. More recently Applewood Farms belonged to the Shipp Corporation who owned horses. The barn was demolished sometime after 1990 and the site is presently occupied by an industrial park. Description as of April 2011.
Agency: Mississauga Library System
pcomapp02:8850