COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Displaying image 198 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Dixie Union Chapel and Cemetery
  View Full size image
Title: Dixie Union Chapel and Cemetery
Identifier: PH0752
Date of Original Photo: 1976
Date Built: 1837
Image Type: B&W Photo, 11.5x7.5 cm.
Subject: Church buildings - Ontario - Dixie (Mississauga)
Donor: Planning & Heritage, Community Services
Location: 707 Dundas Street East, pt. Lot 10 S1/2, Conc 1 NDS

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: 707 Dundas Street East. Conc 1 NDS, pt. Lot 10, SŅ. This stone building, erected in 1837, replaced a log structure built in 1816 by the combined Protestant denominations in the district. By 1827 regular services were being held in the log church, with time allotted to each denomination. Gradually the different denominations built their own places of worship. The Methodists moved to a church in Cooksville in 1845. The Anglicans built a brick church next door, St. Johnís, in 1870. The Presbyterians continued to use the Union Chapel until 1910 when they built a church just north of the Union Cemetery. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act. This 1976 photo shows the side and rear view of the chapel with part of the cemetery in the foreground. The cemetery is located behind the old Stone Church. Entrance is from Dundas Street into the St. Johnís cemetery parking lot. According to William Perkins Bull this is said to be Peel Countyís first formal burying ground, dating from 1810. It was laid out to meet the needs of the early settlers who lived at Dixie and surrounding areas, such as Cooksville and Burnhamthorpe. In the 1860s the cemetery was divided. The original pioneer section stood beside and directly to the north behind the old Stone Church. Land north of the laneway and south of the present Presbyterian Church was sold to the Presbyterians. East of an old laneway which runs parallel with Cawthra Road, and behind St. Johnís Anglican Church, became St. Johnís Anglican Cemetery. That cemetery later acquired further land to the east. Designated under the terms of the Ontario Heritage Act.
Agency: Mississauga Library System